Cuttino's Georgian Life

A journal of my Peace Corps service in the Republic of Georgia, 2006-2008.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Welcome to my travel blog!

Hello everyone! Thanks for checking out my travel blog. I hope that this will be a good way of keeping you all updated on my life in the Republic of Georgia.

On June 13, I'll begin my 27-month job as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Republic of Georgia. I could be more specific, but since the Peace Corps likes to keep an air of mystery, they won't tell me my final location or my actual job. All I know is that I will be working at a non-profit organization and that I will NOT be in the capital. Anyway, Georgia sounds like a pretty fun country with tons of great food, beautiful mountains, and frequent blackouts.

So to get things started, here's a map of Georgia:














And here's the flag:








A few random facts about Georgia:
  • The country's main exports are wine and mineral water. Unfortunately the main customer of these products, Russia, has banned their import.
  • Georgia has the third-largest per capita contingency of soldiers in Iraq.
  • There are two seperatist regions in the country, South Ossettia and Abkhazia. Don't worry, I'm not allowed to go to either.
  • Georgia is the birthplace of Joseph Stalin, Xenia Onatopp, and this guy.
  • Fortunately for me, many Georgians speak Russian. I will also be learning Georgian, which is supposedly one of the hardest (and strangest) languages in the world. This is their alphabet:







Well, that's enough for today. I'll hopefully be posting a few more times before I leave.

Everyone have a great day,
Cuttino

1 Comments:

  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've got yourself the medieval Georgian alphabet there--which got me lots of laughs when I asked one of my Georgian friends "how come I never see these letters anywhere?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home