Cuttino's Georgian Life

A journal of my Peace Corps service in the Republic of Georgia, 2006-2008.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

St. George's Day, Year 2

Life has returned to normal...we'll see how long that lasts. In the meantime, I've posted a lot of pictures from our St. George's Day celebrations--the be all and end all of Georgian holidays. As usual, the residents of Gori went up to Gori Jvari and sacrificed their lambs...and later had a supra with lamb stew. Below are some of my favorite shots...the rest are on Flickr. A warning though, some of them may not be for the weak-at-heart.

The sheep market

This old woman sang on the mountainside for hours.

Children at the church, waiting to get the chickens blessed.

My apologies to PETA.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger TGKeys said…

    Great photos!
    Great to see the side of Georgia from foreigner's point of view!
    I am Georgian and I am thankful to you for this blog! Keep on blogging!
    Peace!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home