Cuttino's Georgian Life

A journal of my Peace Corps service in the Republic of Georgia, 2006-2008.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

"Heavy Fighting" in South Ossetia

I know its been a long time since I have updated this blog. I finished out my service last week and left Georgia two days ago. Work got very busy and things fell by the wayside and I apologize for that. In the near future I will post some blog entries reflecting on the positive times during my last days in Georgia.

For those of you who have seen the news in the last few hours, the South Ossetian conflict, which has been boiling for years now, has become very violent. The threat of a new war is growing. I have every confidence that Peace Corps will take care of its volunteers; for me, I am safe in Turkey. We can only hope and pray that this violence does not spread further and threaten the progress for which my friends in Georgia have worked so hard.

In the meantime, for those of you looking for updated news, as always, I recommend www.civil.ge and www.alertnet.org.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger Ander said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger dj said…

    I have a good friend who was posted to Gori two weeks ago (she is a new Peace Corps volunteer). I haven't been able to contact her via email. If you do hear anything about the volunteers in Georgia, please post (or you can email me at djuna22@yahoo.com).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home